James and Julia from Ride On! spend the day riding and reviewing the new electric bikes from Linus.
For Venice Beach-based Linus, making bicycles has always meant building machines specifically to replace cars. Since the company’s founding in 2007, they have released dozens of elegant, classically-inspired acoustic bicycles, and more recently, they have delved into ebikes as well. One of the latest additions to Linus lineup is the eDutchi, an ebike which continues the company’s trend of thoughtfully-designed machines…
Linus released the eDutchi and its sibling, the eRoadster, as the “New Classic” for modern ebikes. The first thing you’ll probably notice about the eDutchi is its relaxed design, with a retro European-style step-through frame and swept back handlebars for a comfortable riding position. The bike is constructed from a lightweight 6061 aluminum alloy, making it feel quite close to a classic cruiser, but it also includes a 250 W rear hub motor, a 7-speed drivetrain, and three levels of pedal-assist. The eDutchi’s pedal-assist experience will feel quite smooth too, thanks to the bike’s torque sensor. It claims a top speed of 20 mph, making it a class 1 ebike in the US, and it also touts 40 miles of range on a single charge. In addition to these core features, the eDutchi comes with some added goodies that make it even more attractive as a daily-driver ebike. The integrated rear rack of the eDutchi is perfect for carrying small loads up to 55 lbs, which is a great addition to make this bike more versatile. Lastly, it comes standard with rear and front LED lights for nighttime visibility.
With the eDutchi, Linus continues to prove the motive behind their designs, which is creating bikes that someone can really look forward to riding. The eDutchi ditches a lot of the additional nonsense features that some more expensive modern bikes incorporate, in favor of a design that is simple and consistent. While replacing car trips with any sort of bike is a great decision, the Linus eDutchi is designed to make that decision much easier.
What other reviewers are saying
8 Reasons to Buy the Linus eDutchi
- Lightweight profile makes the eDutchi feel more like a traditional bicycle
- 40 miles of range makes the eDutchi perfect for commutes and long joyrides
- 7-speed Shimano drivetrain and three pedal assist settings allow for a custom ride experience
- Torque sensor creates a highly responsive pedal assist system
- Rear rack adds additional capacity for a small cargo load
- Integrated front and rear LED lights for improved visibility
- Step through frame makes the eDucthi easy to mount and dismount
- Swept back handlebars create a comfortable riding position
2 Reasons Not to Buy the Linus eDutchi
- 250W motor may not be a good fit for riders looking for a very high-powered ebike
- Mechanical disc brakes may require a bit of maintenance over time
The Linus eDutchi is built for comfort. It's lightweight frame, relaxed riding position, and torque sensor is a great combination for riders looking for a natural feel on their ebike.