10 Reasons to Buy the Tern BYB
- The Tern BYB electric bike has a slim-fitting tri-fold, which reduces the overall footprint, makes it easier to travel with on mixed-mode commutes, and convenient enough to store under the desk - or even place it in a suitcase for air travel.
- Since the BYB electric bike folds horizontally, the wheels are made to spin independently, allowing the rider to trolley it through security.
- The e-bike by Tern weighs only 31.5 lbs at its full size, and handles a load capacity of over 250 lbs, which makes it quite convenient to take up on climbs.
- The wheels of the Tern BYB e-bike are the company's standard 20". They are grippy on rough roads, handle a lot of weight well, and absorb bumps along the way - so every ride is smooth.
- The Tern BYB electric bike has an 8-speed gear which works with the powerful motor's acceleration, reduces the noise level and proves to be more battery-efficient.
- The Tern BYB electric bike is fitted with a rigid suspension fork that is stiffer on the road at high speeds, so maneuvering around the traffic isn't just smoother, it's also faster and more stable.
- The BYB electric bike is equipped with a V brake system which is user-friendly, efficient on the hubs, and easy to maintain. Not to mention, it is commonly available, so replacing it isn't a pain.
- The Tern BYB electric bike is outfitted with a sturdy 6061 Aluminum shell that resists wear and tear, rust, and handles all kinds of weather well.
- To shield against bad weather, or to store the Tern BYB e-bike safely for longer, a cover can be added on top like a tent when it's folded.
- The step-through frame of the Tern BYB electric bike is adjustable and able to fit riders as short as 4'10", or as long as 6'5" comfortably.
3 Reasons Not to Buy the Tern BYB
- The Tern BYB has a greater gear range, which may not be suitable for beginner or unfit cyclists, especially while traveling downhill.
- It’s a tad finicky to get the spinner wheels going while it's folded up.
- The e-bike has a higher seatpost, so it may take some trial and error to get the seatpost-to-handlebar distance perfectly adjusted.
Overall, the Tern BYB electric bike seems to perform well and may just be one of the best foldable e-bikes on the market. It checks off all the boxes for a reliable commute. The 8 speed gears could prove complicated if you’re a beginner rider, and the higher seatpost can be an annoyance for some, so keep those qualities in mind before deciding!